I was born in 1933 to Bill and Minnie Tanton. I was one of 5 children. The oldest was Clive, then me, followed by Dian (deceased), June and Jerry. This picture was taken in 1936, at Tanton Island – a 95-acre farm in Harrisburg, Oregon, owned by my grandparents. I believe I was about three years old at the time. Not a worry in the world – shortly after the great depression, and WW II was still in the future. Incidentally, Clive is only 16 months older than I am, and he was born on Tanton Island, during a flood. My father delivered him, and rowed the boat to pick up the doctor after the delivery. The doctor assured him that everything was perfectly OK.

In 1944, at the age of 11, our family moved to a 20-acre farm in the country. It's as though we went even further back in time (about 100 years)! We lived on an unpaved road with a year-round creek, and a large barn. The fact is, there were no phone or electrical service available, and thus no running water. There was an old pitcher-pump outside, where we pumped water into a bucket, and hand-carried it to the house. Then of course we had an outhouse out back. We heated water, and cooked our meals, on the wood stove. The clothes washer had a hand wringer, and was powered by a gasoline motor. Then we had a clothesline to dry the clothes. We also had to tend the animals, milk the cow, clean the barn, and weed the garden. We did have a battery radio for entertainment (if we had time).

The closest town was called Jasper, where I attended the very informal Jasper Grade School. This picture was taken in when I was in the 5th grade, in 1944. I am second from the right, in the first row, and my older brother Clive is second from the left, in the back row. I had the same teacher, Mrs. Thomas, from the 5th grade through 8th grade. She taught all four grades in one room. In fact, in both the 7th and 8th grades there were only 2 of us – Donald Lasley and myself! No phone or electricity. An old pitcher hand pump for water, and outhouses in back. Mrs. Thomas had to build a fire in the wood heater in the winter. The closest high school was in Pleasant Hill, where I graduated.

Incidentally, my work experience started much earlier than most. Shortly after moving to Jasper, my father designed and built a sawmill, which he named "Tanton and Sons Lumber Company". My older brother Clive and I were working partners with our father – talk about hard work! We helped build the mill, and later worked in the woods logging and in the sawmill. We worked all summer and on Saturdays during the school year. Back then, we used axes, wedges, and the long crosscut saw to fall, buck, and limb the trees. Although we did have a caterpillar to yard them to the landing. Once we had a good supply of logs, we started up the mill. My father was the sawyer, and my brother and I traded off riding the carriage, setting ratchet, and off bearing behind the large circular saw, called the head rig.

That career ended in 1948, when my father decided to run for U.S. Congress. He "nearly" made it. He ran against a local attorney (who also owned a newspaper) in the primary, and won by a landslide. In the general election, he ran against the incumbent who had served for several terms. It was so close that we stayed up late that night to determine who actually won – the incumbent did, although by a narrow margin. Sometimes just a few votes can determine our destiny. My father was well respected in the community, and always had high ethical standards. Unfortunately, he died at age 46 from an accident.

So that's a little background on my rather unconventional youth – now I'll focus on my adult careers.

February 1951, (61 years ago), I joined the U.S. Merchant Marines. First, I had to go through a rather extensive background check by the FBI, which I easily passed. As a Merchant Seaman, you normally travel throughout the world to destinations in many different countries. Thus your Seaman's document is also a passport.

For nearly five years, I traveled the world, which in and of itself was an education. It makes you realize how truly blessed we are, just to have been born in the United States. My first trip, I traveled from Portland, Oregon, through the Panama Canal, to New York. In fact, I just happened to arrive on Election Day, when President Eisenhower was elected. As you could imagine, Times Square was especially crowded.

I celebrated by 18th birthday in Calcutta, India, which was much different way back then. It was only about four years after the British left, and there was poverty everywhere. There was an extreme contrast between the elaborate structures built by the British, just a short distance from dire poverty – many living in makeshift shelters, or just along the road with no shelter at all. I really wanted to help, but found it impossible to do so in a meaningful way.

After getting married (in 1955), I soon discovered that a change in career was in order. I soon felt guilty shipping out for a few months at a time. It definitely wasn't fair to my wife, so that was the end of that career!

I built a new home on 1.5 acres in an oak grove, and when I completed it, it was free and clear, as was my car. I was always interested in psychology, and had read a few books on that and other subjects in my spare time at sea. Thus, I decided to major in psychology at the University of Oregon.

After a few months, I encountered an excellent opportunity to purchase my first business – a 50-space mobile home court on the Willamette River, in Eugene, Oregon, not far from the U of O. Thus I traded my home for the riverbank mobile home court.

I soon discovered that continuing my education at that time, while also managing and upgrading the court, was even more than I could handle. When the dean discovered my decision, he said, "I noticed you are excellent at writing, and suggest you continue your education at a later date". Although I eventually did, my major was much different, and in my opinion far more meaningful. That's especially true today, when so many are desperate for answers their doctors can't seem to provide.

About a year after updating the 50-space mobile home court, I traded it for a 640-acre ranch, three miles from the resort town of sisters, Oregon. Shortly after this photo was taken, of me on my Pinto, our 4-bedroom house with all our belongings burned to the ground when we weren't home. Unfortunately, as we had no mortgage, and thus insurance, it was a total loss. I eventually traded the land for commercial property on Hwy 58 in Oakridge, Oregon, where I eventually built a truck stop.

At this point I might just add that I owned and operated several businesses over the years, which included four motels, two mobile home courts, an apartment complex, two truck stops, and a trucking business. One truck stop I also built. I even built a retreat on 350 feet of the world famous McKenzie River, which I also designed. I did a great deal of the finish work myself. I placed it in a trust for Rick's College (now BYU-Idaho), and sold it to Dr. Ed Cadman, who had been dean of the Yale Medical School for over thirteen years.

I might add that, I also graduated from real estate school, and obtained my commercial real estate license. I found it to be helpful when negotiating with properly owners, or real estate brokers. I knew the process, and could see the potential in any business. I could rapidly upgrade a property, and both evaluate and motivate potential employees. Before I purchased any business, I already knew what the plan of action would be, and the expected outcome. Thus, I have been fortunate to be able to fund my own research all these years.

Back in 1962 is when some major changes came about. That's when I owned 2 truck stops, and a trucking business. First, my mother-in-law gave me a copy of the book Eat Right to Keep Fit, by Adelle Davis, which her doctor suggested she read. I'll have to admit, it was good advice, as even though she was taught different and thus knew better, she smoked and always took several different medications. She was on oxygen for several years before she died at 70. Anyway, I did read it, and many more, and fortunately took it seriously. I currently have hundreds of books in my rather extensive library.

The other major turning point in my life was, one day when my wife's uncle who was an electrical engineering supervisor with Boeing Corporation in Seattle, Washington, suggested I look into automation as a future career, which fortunately I did. Thus, I leased my business and enrolled in the Automation Institute of Seattle. The class I enrolled in scored in the high 90s – the highest in their history. Most were pretty bright, yet few were more motivated than I was. The curriculum involved electronic accounting machines (EAM), which was the predecessor to computers – back in the dark ages in automation. It seemed high-tech at the time. It involved 80-column punched cards, and panels full of wires (the program).

Half way through school, I was hired by the Teamster's Union to work on the night shift doing what I was learning (all by myself). I'll admit it was a real challenge working nights and attending school during the day, yet I somehow managed to graduate top of the class, with a nearly perfect score.

The school also offered me a job teaching, if I first got a couple years' experience in the field. Following graduation, I received offers from both IBM and Boeing. With IBM, it would still be working with the EAM equipment. Yet with Boeing, it was computers, thus Boeing was my choice, and I believe it was a wise decision. I received a great deal of training while with Boeing, (including management training). I started out as a computer operator, and was soon promoted to lead operator. I was then offered a job as operations supervisor at their new Space Flight Center in Huntsville, Alabama, which I accepted.

During that time, I developed an advanced operating system for the IBM 1401 computers. IBM assigned 2 engineers to assist me with the project. The problem is, I tend to think outside the box, and take on major challenges. They soon concluded that, what I proposed was impossible, thus I decided to prove them wrong. I did all the designing and programming myself. Guess what – it was possible! Although they had always written 80 characters per record on the tape drive, I discovered how to write 8,000 characters per record, which just happened to be 100 times faster. Incidentally, the IBM 1401 had only 8K of memory, and two tape drives. No disk drive, and multi-tasking was still in the future. I also discovered how to expand the memory capacity (when necessary).

Then later, when at Thiokol in Brigham City, Utah, I developed techniques to greatly reduce the programming time, while also increasing the accuracy. I also had other major successes while at the Evans Products Company, in Portland, Oregon, and Computer Sciences Corporation (CSC) at both the Space Flight Center in Huntsville, Alabama, and the Ames Research Center in Mountain View, California.

I enrolled at the Clayton School of Healing in 1994, and graduated with a Ph.D. (with honors) in July 2003. I had been researching different health issues for many years, prior to my enrollment, and ever since as well.

On my website, you will find 3 different books I have written and published. The first, A Drug-Free Approach to Healthcare, won the Pinnacle Book of the Year Award in the health category in 2005. It also received 2 professional reviews – both excellent. I have also received positive feedback from many readers, (including doctors).

I wrote my next book, Antidepressants, Antipsychotics, and Stimulants – Dangerous Drugs on Trial, after I was asked to serve on the medical advisory board for the Citizens Commission for Human Rights (CCHR), which I accepted. Incidentally, Dr. Julian Whitaker, M.D. also serves on their medical board.

The last book I published and printed was Reversing Type 2 Diabetes While Removing Fat. Few are aware that, at times, the function of beta cells can be restored. In fact, it was recently discovered that the alpha cells in the pancreas (important for producing glycogen), can at times convert to beta cells, and begin producing insulin! This is obviously a major issue.

I have also written a great deal, which I have published, but they are not yet in print. For example, I wrote a free 420-page ebook titled Taking the Mystery Out of Cancer. One reason it's so large is, in the back I cover heart disease, lung disease, liver disorders, and thyroid disorders, and how each can normally be resolved naturally.

I always provide adequate science, including clinical studies (when available), which could be overwhelming for some. Thus, I have also written a condensed, more user-friendly version, for those who want the specifics without the scientific validation. For me, that's the most difficult, yet important for many who don't like that much detail. I also discovered that I could focus on the other conditions individually. I actually included them in the comprehensive version, as the function of each is important for preventing or curing cancer, as the efficient delivery of oxygen, and the removal of toxins is important.

I have also written 600 pages titled Taking the Mystery Out of Alzheimer's (not yet in print), as well as a condensed, more user-friendly version (about 90 pages), which will soon become an eBook.

Free articles are available on various issues. One is titled End of an Era – The Drugging of America. Another,  explains how the combination of the two drugs (Prozac™ and Zyprexa™) is a major contributor to both diabetes and obesity – something many of our youth are currently dealing with. In that article, I also discuss diabetes medications, which due to their nutrient depletion, actually contribute to insulin resistance – thus type 2 diabetes. It's what I would consider as the worst form of child abuse. Even worse, due to its high fluoride content, Prozac™ contributes to an iodine deficiency disorder (IDD), which is known to lower a child's IQ, "all because it's so profitable", yet our children are paying the ultimate price!